This Saturday, May 21st, is Learn-to-Fly day. It should come as no surprise by now that GA is in need of more pilots if our activity is to survive as we know it. There may be a better reason to go flying than to introduce a prospective pilot to our world but I’m not sure what it might be. Ditto for educating people who will never become pilots. The more “air-minded” we can make people, the fewer hassles there will be regarding airports.
The sad part is that a week won’t pass without someone somewhere trying to bash or close an airport. Many of the NIMBYs moved in well after the airport was built but that doesn’t silence them and they outnumber us by a huge margin. “It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.” said William G. McAdoo a former US Treasury secretary. So it is with airport opponents and far better to begin enlightening them about the value of airports before things get unpleasant.
- Pick your weather carefully. Obviously, a bumpy intro flight is not a good idea.
- No stalls, steep turns or any kind of “hot dogging.” If you want to be a bone head do it solo!
- If someone asks how safe it is – tell them the truth. It is not as safe as driving a car – on average. But it is as safe as the PIC chooses to make it. We can have a long discussion on that.
- If someone shows a more serious interest - send them to this website for more details http://www.aopa.org/letsgoflying/
- If there is real interest, help them with picking out a flight school and CFI.