The bad news for me is I won’t be at Summit this year. But it doesn’t mean I can’t dream about all the things I would have done while I was there. So below is my list, in no particular order. And for those of you are are attending, have a great time!!
- The Parade of Planes. How often do you get to see a large mass of planes in a parade from the airport to the convention center? But thanks to the wonders of livestreaming, I’ll be able to see this event tomorrow, Oct. 10 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Pacific time. I even get AOPA President Craig Fuller and AOPA Pilot Editor Tom Haines giving me their personal commentary on the festivities. And you can follow along using the Twitter hashtag #AOPAPOP.
- iPads, iPads, iPads! There are some great iPad education sessions this year, including: Advanced iPad: Tips and Tricks for Becoming an Expert; iPad 101; iPad Weather Options; and iPad: Beyond the EFB. And please use the hashtag #AOPAiPad so we can all follow along.
- The 2012 Elections’ Effect on GA. During the Friday keynote address, Fuller, actor/pilot Harrison Ford, Acting FAA Administrator Michael Huerta, Haines and Flying magazine Editor Robert Goyer will discuss how GA will be affected after the election. The hashtag for the Friday keynote is #AOPAKey2.
- The Thursday Keynote. This event includes Adam Kisielewski, awounded war veteran and LSA pilot who will share his inspirational story. And Craig Fuller will moderate a panel with Haines, AOPA Pilot Senior Editor Dave Hirschman and Editor at Large Tom Horne where they will talk about their global GA travels. The Twitter hashtag for this event is #AOPAKey1.
- The Center to Advance the Pilot Community. Senior VP Adam Smith will join others with more details on this new initiative, including plans to work with flying clubs, along with the winners of the Flight Training scholarships and the Flight Training CFIs and flight school award winners.
- New Sweeps Plane. Right after we give away the Aviat Husky, we’ll announce the next sweeps plane. Don’t ask me what it is!!
- Airportfest. Speaking of planes, check out the display of aircraft surrounding the convention center, ranging from the Beech S35 to the Van’s RV-14.
- A Night For Flight Gala. This event provides a lovely evening of food, fun, and amazing entertainment, all to benefit the work of the AOPA Foundation. If you can’t make the event, you can still help by bidding on items at the online auction. There are prizes that fit any pocketbook, so please put in a bid by Oct. 13.
- The Exhibit Hall. I’m a student pilot, so of course I want to see — and buy — the latest gear. The Summit exhibit hall will have around 400 booths that will let attendees to just that!
- The people. Having already attended Sun ‘N Fun and Oshkosh this year, I’m convinced we have the best members. I’m sorry I won’t be able to meet more of them at Summit this year. But I’ll see you in Fort Worth in 2013!
Tags: Benet Wilson, general aviation, news, Summit